Monday, March 22, 2010

Ten Water Saving Tips Beyond the Ordinary

OK, I admit it, I'm a water nut! And I'm not talking about going to the beach or a water park, in fact I rarely swim. I'm talking about the wasting of the most precious element next to air.

In Florida 65% of the available potable water is used for irrigation! Some of that is for agriculture, but way too much is for watering lawns. Mismanaged sprinkler systems that go off in the rain, water concrete and go off in the peak heat of the day are just criminal.
http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/2004/circ1268/

Here are a few things I do to lower my water use, beyond the basic 'turn off the faucet while brushing teeth' advice:
  1. No sprinkler system period! Water by hose only when establishing a new plant or in an extreme drought.
  2. Plant only drought-tolerant or natives that work well in your area with no extra watering, just rain.
  3. Use of "Johnny Boy" on toilets to save water when washing hands.
  4. "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down!"
  5. Low flow toilets and shower heads - easy and low cost fix for water use.
  6. Have bricks/water bottles/ galleon jugs in toilet tanks to displace water.
  7. Rain barrels to collect water for use instead of turning on hose.
  8. 5 minute shower timer to remind you to get out of the shower faster! (Free at a eco-festivals and your local water management district!)
  9. Collect water from faucet while waiting for hot water, for showers, pet cleanings, dishes, whatever reason you wait for hot water. Save it to use for plants, cleaning hands, countertops, etc. as just a few ideas.
  10. Use day-old pet water to water plants.
These are just some of my personal ways to lower water use. I realize I can be a bit extreme since I don't have to worry about a lot of people in my household. Here are a couple even more extreme things I hope to have someday. Consider it my water conservation wish list!

Self-Contained Composting Toilet: http://letsgogreen.com/composting-toilet-desc.html

Tankless water heater saves water since there's instant hot water instead of running out the cold water from the lines. http://tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/  It has the added benefit of saving energy costs too!


No comments: